Sunday, April 22, 2007

Underdog

I wrote a blog on Adriana Dominguez (a third-year student at Brooklyn Law School).
http://lawofthegump.blogspot.com/2007/04/juris-imprudence.html It was a story that I had seen on Fox news while in the break room at the law school eating lunch. It was picked up by several news outlets and was a topic of conversation among law students around the country for several days. It seemed like a good topic to write about for a law school blog. I mean come on! Sex, lies, and videotape, what more you want? I followed it up with a couple of more blogs on ethics.

I have a counter at the bottom of my page. It is nothing miraculous or extraordianary. It is a regular old free counter that is available to almost any web page. But even with this free counter, I am still able to see what domain (server such as charter, AOL, etc.) my readers come from; how long they looked at my page; and what refered them to me. If it was a google search, it even gives the search terms. If it scares you think that someone can get that much info for free then you should really be scared to think what you could get if you actually paid for a service.

Anyway, I was really surprised when my web site hits shot up the day that I wrote the blog. Over 30 times the average of my normal number of visits.
So I backtracked a few visitors that had actually spent some time reading my blog. I was curious to see how someone from across the country would find my blog.
I was surprised by how much specific things in my blogs had been googled (Such as Barrister’s Ball or other law school specific topics). I was really surprised at how many people were just looking for naked pics of Andrea Dominguez. But what really blew me away was the fact that there are discussion boards out there that linked my blog to their discussion.
This led me to discover that there are several web sites that have my blog listed for users to find easily. For instance I am ranked in the top 4 law school blogs from http://www.jd2b.com/ . That was really neat. Thanks guys.

But the blog also got some bad attention.
It got my link pulled from several other less conservative viewpointed law school blogger sites (A favor that was soon returned - thanks for the support guys).

I also noticed that I had become the topic of actual entire threads of some discussion boards (mainly regarding the Andrea Dominguez story) (and not from the site listed above – I won't give the other sites the time they rightly don’t deserve).
Instead of reading the multiple times that I refer to the article as being from New York Daily News web site, some of these people actually thought that I had written the entire story on my own. They trashed me for spreading the info. They dogged my school as lower tier and undeserving of their respect. I was supposedly trying to “sound smart”. And at one point I was even called a %#@*&^ #@%
Huh?
One point that I have to bring up is this: If you are on a law school discussion board talking about trying to get into law school, maybe you should actually get into one before you bash everything not labeled ivy league. As a matter of fact junior law school wanabees should just hope to get in any school that will take them. And then refrain from comments like the ones made until they actually survive just one semester.
Those who can do. Those who can’t – just talk about it.

As for my school, I have this to say:
I take great pride in the fact that the people who fail out of Jones and go elsewhere to law school have generally done quite well. We are recently ABA accredited. Because of that, our standards are very strict. Our scales are as tough as they come. Our policies leave no room for less then perfect standards of honor or sacrifice. I don’t blame the faculty and school for policies that other schools see as incumberances. We are the under dogs who are currently snarling, thrashing, gnawing, and climbing our way past the naysayer and elitists.

Any sports team is surprised when they are defeated by the underdog opponent.
Why? Because they underestimated the opponent. Because they were so filled with their own bloated vision of themselves that they did not see a worthy oponent before them. At which time they were summarily served their own asses on a plate.

I have friends who are extremely bothered by the lack of respect that we get in relation to longer established law schools (schools that we thougoughly trounced in recent moot court competitions). It doesn’t bother me.
I am from a small town. We had small sports teams. We were always, undermanned, undersized, slower, and underrated. Time and again we beat oppponents who were bigger, faster, had more depth as well as natural ability, and always ranked above us.
Why did we beat these teams? Because we were more determined, more disciplined, and trained harder. Most of all we had no overly grand ideas of our own abilities. We knew that to win we had to want it more than the other guys did and we had to work harder than they did. Simple as that. I have never played anything on a level playing field. It is always an uphill battle for one side or the other. Usually for my side.

You can all me bad names, kick my dog, or spit on the flag. But don’t ever underestimate me (or my law school). Trust me on this one. Otherwise when you come up against us, your are going to get your feelings hurt and your ego bruised. I have been the underdog all my life. I have learned to deal with that. It just means I have to work harder than others do to get the same respect. I don’t have a problem with that. But people desperately need to understan that if they underestimate the people from this school, they WILL get thier asses handed to them in court.

In the words of Forest Gump:
“That is all I have to say about that.”


No comments: