Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Whine and cheese and mediation

Fall classes have started. I got into a capped mediation clinic class on Friday evening before classes started on Monday. Which is great for me because know I can “probably” finish the requirements for the Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) certificate prior to graduation. One more thing to add to a resume and possibly make money on. I was pretty peeved because the class was capped at 16 people, which keeps it under the limit for a mandatory curve, and upcoming 2Ls got into the class before I did. So I did what I could and got on a waiting list for the class. They called Friday evening to ask if I wanted the class.
Duh, yes! I have been complaining constantly to anyone who would listen since this Spring at registration.
Luckily I had not already bought the book for the class that I had to drop.

Jones has been faithful in continuing its policy of part time program This is aprox. A 4 year program and adds great thing to our school because it means that we have some night classes offered. This means that some full time students can pick up night time classes after their first which allows them to cut the number of days a week that they have to drive to school. I originally started at Jones as a part time student (read night classes) and switched to full time status as soon as I was eligible in the fall of the second year. I have attended summer classes and am now approximately 6 hours behind my classmates who began as full time students at the same time I began. So I have more hours than the upcoming 2Ls and am considered a 3L.

Here is my complaint: I can not understand a true blind preference for capped classes. Upper classmen should have preference first in order that they may meet requirements before graduation. (Upcoming 2Ls have an entire extra year to get these classes.) This lack of preference is a bad policy and would probably have denied me getting the ADR certificate if someone had not dropped the class thus opening one slot. Now hopefully I can pick up the last remaining ADR class in the Spring and fulfill the practical skills requirement prior to completing school next summer (2008).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just read your entire blog and I think I'm in love with you. Please continue to post! I noticed you hadn't posted anything in a while. Let us know what's going on sexy!!

Lindsey S.

Anonymous said...

man, your blogs USED to be good.