Saturday, July 29, 2006

The ABA the curve and...

OK
So here goes. This is my blog. I have finished my first year as a part time student in law school. I have attended summer classes and a few weeks from now I will embark on my second year of law school. This time as a full time student.
So you dont get to hear the first year antics that everyone seems to to find incredibly funny.
But the best is yet to come.
As of this summer. Jones has become accredited by the American Bar Association.
A bit of a discliamer:
Jones received "provisional accreditation". Which means pretty much as long as they dont screw it up, the school recieves "full accreditation" in 2 to 5 years. Which doesn't really bother me. Because as long as the place doesn't burn down between now and when I graduate, (as far as other states are concerned) I will graduate from an accredited law school. Meaning: I can take the bar and practice anywhere in the US that I can pass that state's bar exam.

Here is the problem:
The school is so incredibly obsessed with becoming fully accredited that it has arguably become the hardest law school in the state (dont argue just read it) because they want their bar passage rates really high, and they think that the ABA likes to see folks failing out. We have a 28.8% attrition rate for first year students. When you look at the incoming class as being only about 95 students last year you can see that is a big chunk of students that I will not be seeing this fall.
I have seen other blogs where people complain about the difference between a 3.0 and a 3.2 curve. Big Woop. Incoming 1L's are subjected here to a 2.5 curve. After that it is a 2.75 curve for all classes except summer electives, who are curved once again at 3.0. Which I think kinda sucks because with two identicle students with the same raw score, the one from the lower curved school gets the shaft on overall GPA. I came to law school to study law, not math. But as I see it A + B = Sux.

Summer finals are fast approaching (Monday) and I need to get back to studying.

ps
What I have learned from taking Environmental Law and Health Law this summer:
Never take an Environmental case becasue there is no money in it and if you do find one - the EPA will just take it.
Malpractice law in Alabama has been bought by the insurance companies. No great money there either.

No comments: